Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hattiesburg to Memphis

Morning light on Beale ST. Memphis.
The Black Diamond was the least touristy spot on the strip...the patrons were really nice.
I don't normally take photos of statues but hey it's "The King"
This is the man know as Gino, the king of Beale St.
Nick, his lady and their dog which got sick that morning.

Hola earthlings,
I spent a few hours in Javawerks yesterday catching up on the blog etc.  I hit the road towards Memphis.  I really enjoyed the drive especially after hitting Jackson.  Two lane highway divided by lush greenery.  The setting sun made all the colors extremely vivid.  Little smiles crept from my cheeks with every new impression that was taken in.  You can put the ugliest thing (person, object etc) in soft light and they will transform before your eyes.  It reminds me when I was a senior in college.  My professor was an old cagey guy from New York.  He read us the stats on how many photography graduates still take pictures one year after school.  The data was not encouraging; with every year passed the number dropped considerably.

"No matter if you use photography or not you have all been given a gift...you can see light."

"Think about how many people see the light change...not many."  

    He was right, I spent the night on Beale street in downtown Memphis.  I crawled out of the cocoon at 6:15 am.  The sun had not crept above the building yet.  I grabbed my tripod , cable release and Hasselblad.  The neon lights on Beale St blinked while the ambient was cool.  I composed through the ground glass and shot away.  

"Hey Man.  What you maken? A documentary about Beale St?"  I looked and saw a homeless man resting on his elbows in a doorway.  

"No...I 'm on a road trip" I replied

"Oh, your just taken all kinds a stuff."

"Yeah"  I was on a mission and didn't have time for small talk.  I kept moving down the street.

     After shooting a couple of rolls I headed back up Beale and saw a statue of Elvis.  The light was about to rise above the building and shine on the King.  I quickly loaded another roll of Provia NC 160 and continued to press the shutter.  A few minutes later I heard a voice behind me.

"There you are" the man said.

It was the same homeless man from before.  He took a seat and we both faced the King.  He asked me if I knew any thing about Memphis.  Nope not a thing.  He then went on to drop all kinds of knowledge.  For starters that Elvis statue replaced the original because people kept taking the strings off his guitar on the first statue.  He told me about all the greats that have played in Memphis, then mentioned the MLK museum.  His name was Gino and he was pretty sharp.  While he was talking I took his portrait I can't wait to get the film back.  Gino was great we had good time.  I reached into my pocket and gave him $7 bucks.  Not much but it's what I had.  It felt good.

I then headed down to the river for some breakfast.  I pulled out my cooler and ate some Honey Bunches of Oats.  A white, late model, 4 by4 pulled into the spot next to me.  This thing was seriously tricked out and ready for Baja.  A young bearded guy in a stained Carhartt jacket stepped out of the drivers side.  His lady friend headed for the bathroom.  We exchanged knowing glances...they fit the bill of fellow travelers.  His name was Nick and he offered me some coffee...not Folgers but real ground coffee.  I was stoked.  His girl got back from the toilet and we drank out coffee and swapped stories.  They are from North Carolina and heading all the way down to Argentina...think about that for a second.  Damn that is a serious trip.  They were really nice and I think we all had a good time.  Nick handed me a card.  www.ramblewriter.com  check it out for all the details.

       I said my goodbyes and headed off to Graceland.  I begrudgingly handed over the $33 dollars because it just seems like this is one piece of America that you must see while in Memphis.  The house it self was pretty cool all the original furniture is still in there. Lot's of mirrors, TVs, the jungle room which he recorded one of his albums in.   His car collection was pretty sweet too.  So I'm glad I went.  All right it's 7 and I need some food....Memphis nightlife here I come.  

   

3 comments:

  1. You and your mad photographing skills (and descriptions of the skills), making me all jealous. Jeez.

    I keep hearing that Memphis is awesome. Might have to check it out on my way back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt awake at 6:15 AM? My mom will never believe it. Neither will I! Way to go Pat!

    ReplyDelete