Monday, April 27, 2009

Bikes, Girls, and Prospect Park.

The Goat is gone.
His and Hers..
Packing up
Army Square with my sweet ride.
B and her window.

   Yesterday was one of those epic days were everything just works beautifully.  Well, it didn't start out that way.  I spent the first few hours of the day doing laundry and waiting for a call from a girl that had already flaked on me once before.  I received a text at 12:41
 
"What's up? do you want to go for a bike ride?

"Fuck Yeah"

  I was still waiting for the other girl but it was too nice outside to pass up the opportunity.  An hour later B. showed up in short shorts and a tank top.  She came up for some water and I gave her a tour of Casa De Levine.  I started giving her a hard time for shoeing me out of her house without even a make out session a couple nights before.

"What's up with that"?

"I have rules...No goatees...I can't do it"

"But beards are OK though"?

"Yeah...It's just that little patch of skin in between that kills it for me."

 Then she went on to say.

"Let me shave that thing."

    Now before you start calling me a pushover understand that it is in the upper eighties in NYC right now.  Besides, I like her and if it is going to help my chances...why not?   Ten minutes later I was deprived of my goatee and one kiss richer.  We left the house and headed up Union st. about twenty five blocks until we hit Prospect Park.  We rode our bikes around the park and ended up on a slight incline over looking the grassy field below.  There was a game of Cricket, soccer, sunbathers, and countless other people to look at.  B put out her sarong and we took our socks and shoes off and melted into the hillside.  It was nice, we had a good talk over some horrible epinadas.  

       B and I used to date around 98 or so...She was working for Cisco and I was deep in the art scene.  She used to tell me about her review meetings etc which was all very foreign to me.  Still is, but at the time this seemed like trying to comprehend Russian subtitles while listening to Chinese commercials.  

"Why do you want to be with me"?  I asked her one day.

She took a moment before she answered

"I don't want ugly kids"

Wow! I was completely floored.  This is by far the most honest answer I have ever received to any question.  After a few hours of bliss fullness in the park we mounted up and rolled through Park Slope looking for a place to grab a beer.  We ended up at Union Jacks and ordered a couple of Hoegardens.  This is a light belgium beer that tastes really good on a hot day.  A short time later we cruised all the way back to Casa De Levines so I could get my ID.  

         The sun had set as we headed over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan.  There is a big white line dividing the path all the way across the bridge.  One side is for pedestrians the other for bikes.  This concept is especially hard for the walkers to grasp.  They always seem to end up in the bike lane with their cameras pressed against their face.  It became a really fun game.  Whenever we saw one drifting, B would hit her bell on her handle bars.  This seemed to work at first but then I started to follow the bell with my own version which sounded like a whoop, whistle bell.  They would get startled as we whizzed past with giant grins on our mugs.  B lead us  through all these little back streets in Chinatown until we made it to her Place on Allen.  

   Sidenote:  B lives next door to skateboarding legend Mark Gonzales.  I turned into a total fan boy and shot photos of his front door (complete with pink stroller) and a pair of his shoes which he drew his name on.  I prayed he didn't open the door...I would of felt like suck a dork.  

    We took a quick shower and B put on a sweet, little, black dress that she had picked up earlier in the day.  She wore it very well.  I borrowed a shirt that was two sizes two small and felt like I belonged in a boy band.  We headed into the East Village and got some sushi on Clinton St.    The Dragon Roll ruled.  We were both full and feeling good.  I got out of the bathroom and B was doing a little dance to Al Greene's Let's Get It On...Life is sweet. 

3 comments: