Thursday, April 23, 2009

FDR

I like this one.
Screw it down boys


kieth pop shoveWilly boneless

          Yes, I am still alive, I just got caught up in the Big Apple.  I will try and get everyone up to date. I just processed a bunch of film and added photos to some previous posts so have a look.  Ok, I got on to the freeway and looked for signs for Philly.  I passed a huge Westing House Plant on my right.  My Grandfather worked at this plant for thirty years, I felt a little twinge of pride.  Times have certainly changed.  I drove on the toll road for about six hours and hit traffic a few miles outside the city.  There was a white Range Rover pulled over with it's hazardous flashing.  The driver was pushing someone in the passenger seat who did not want to be there.  All I could see were feet kicking him in the chest while he did his best to slam the door.  Someone must of called 911 because he was pulled over a few miles later.  
        I bypassed downtown and headed straight for South Philly.  I was on a mission to skate the legendary park called FDR.  This park came about because the city was trying to find a way to keep skaters out of Love Park in downtown.  Love was the equivalent of the embarcadero in SF both attracted skaters from all over to skate on the ledges and stairs.  Skaters and businessmen have never co mingled that well so after years of the cat and mouse game with the cops the city made a change.  They built one small pyramid under the I-95 and waited to see what would happen.  The skaters came and started to build their own park how they wanted it without all the red tape.  Fourteen years later the city has a ruling skatepark that was built and funded by skaters.  I was taking it all in, the sheer size is incredible.  I took a few runs and found a bunch of speed lines.  There are lot's of cement bumps that you can carve over to keep your momentum which you need because  all the obstacles are fairly far apart.  Within five minutes this guy skated up to me and said.
"They are dropping off some steel in a few minutes...can you help us unload"?
Shit I had been here five minutes and already being put to work.  
"Sure"
He told me his name was Willy and he was a photographer as well.  Willy was really nice he offered me a place to stay.  A truck showed up at the vert ramp and I meet some of the other guys and helped them with the 4 by 8 sheets of quarter inch steel.  They were resurfacing the vert ramp with steel which is really fast and will weather better then wood.  I shot photos with Willy and another kid named Kieth.  I went back over to the ramp and offered my help with screwing the sheets down.  It was really cool to be there with some of the guys who have been there from the beginning.  Carlos flashed a toothless grin and ordered pizza for everyone.  He was running the show which was good because he new what he was doing.   More skaters showed up with screw guns and pitched in.  We worked until 11:30 and Carlos pulled the plug on his generator.  I was beat so I drove a couple blocks away and crawled into the Cocoon with a smile on my face.  

2 comments: