Tuesday, March 31, 2009

NOLA






I got a bed at India House Hostel just off Canal St. in New Orleans.  The reviews of this place on the Internet were horrible.  After staying at many hostels I have learned to use these reviews as a guideline and not the rule.  I am glad I did because this place turned out to be really good.  There was a pool, gas stove, outdoor picnic tables, wifi, and loads of smokers.  Damn I forgot how many people smoke when they travel.  It seemed to go like this...converse with your neighbor for two minutes, roll a cigarette, smoke...say something witty, repeat.     I don't know what everyone is so nervous about...relax.

      The first night I ended up going out with Andy a 30 something Londoner, two Irish girls, and Kate from London as well.  We piled into a cab and headed to FrenchMan street.  The first place we stopped was what Andy called a warm up.  We had a couple of beers and I quickly got a spot on the pool table.  My opponent had obviously been on the sauce for many hours.

I stretched out my hand and introduced myself.

"Hi, I am Matt".  I said.

"Valen...tine"  he stammered.

I gave him a tight rack and stepped back from the table.  He bent over and placed the cue in a very unorthodox bridge.  His eyes were having trouble focusing, the cue slid back and then forward with the might of a 11 year old school girl.  A few balls rolled slowly in various directions yet none found the pocket.  It was my shot I sank one and then missed.  It always takes me a few shots to relax and get the feel of it again.  I went up six balls and then Valentine started his triumphant comeback.  He sank a couple balls but the alcohol was seriously hindering his coordination.  I sank the eight and shook his hand.  He smiled and muttered something inaudible.  Next up was Andy.  I went up five balls and then the bastard staged and comeback and ran all the remaining balls.  I took a seat with the ladies and chatted while we waited for Andy to finish the game.  

      Next stop was the Apple Barrel which is right down the street.  This place was very small with Miller as the only option on tap.  There is a local beer called Atiba (sp) but Miller seemed to be everywhere.  The Apple Barrel had a three piece band playing bluesy influenced rock.  I was starting to fell the music and get in the grove.  The place was packed so I went outside for some air.  I heard the sound of horns, yelling, laughter and a general good time.  About half a block away there was a band with all kinds of horns and drums just going for it.  People were stoked, dancing in the streets, one guy was doing back flips.  There was no stage, this was not a planned city event.  Just some locals playing in the middle of the street for the enjoyment of all.  Everyone had a drink in their hand,(drinking in the streets is legal) traffic was not getting through and no one seemed to care.  Damn this was amazing am I really in America?  Where are the cops to shut this thing down?   

Ok the rest is going to be a little summery.  I went to Snug Harbor and heard some amazing jazz with a cute little thing from St. Augustine Florida.  We ate some tacos at 3 in the morning from the roach coach...sooooo goooooddd.  Visited the cemeteries, French quarter, Magazine St into the Garden District.  I really liked this part of town really old houses with beautiful architecture and really cheap compared to CA prices.  Drank coffee with binets at Cafe Du Monde.  This place has been serving coffee and these pastries (deep fried dough covered in powdered sugar) for over a 100 years.  It's open 24 hours a day and the prices are great.  Visited the 9th Ward which was devastated by Katrina and generally had a really good time.  I stayed three days and had to get out.  I don't know how anyone could raise their kids here...way to much debauchery yet really fun for a short time.  

I left last night and drove to Hattiesburg Mississippi.  Spent the night in a motel parking lot woke up and headed to this really cool cafe.  I know who knew there were cool cafes in Mississippi.  I am a Javawerks across from the college.  Next stop????

1 comment: