Tuesday, March 31, 2009



    In the morning I headed out to Humble, Texas to check on real estate mogul IDL Properties.  They were no Kentfield mansions but what do you want for $100,000?  After eating lunch, I made my way back into Houston to skate their new park.  Hands down, this is the hardest thing to find.  It sits on the bayou in Sabine Park sandwitched between Memorial and Allen drive, both of which are one way.  Just take my word for it, total fighter.  The gates were closed and a armed security guard was preventing the hoping of the fence.  It looked really fun with deep bowls and a huge cradle.  The park had a light dusting of water so they decided to close it.  I was sitting on my tailgate when a Burning Man/skater/tribal warrior approached me.

   "Hey Man, we checked the Internet and a huge storm is coming in...like hail and shit."

"Really? Thanks man" I replied.

   As he walked away I noticed his matching tribal tats on each calf.  Somebody please buy this guy a ticket to Black Rock.  

      I decided to try and beat the storm out of a town.  I got on the I-10 East towards  New Orleans.  My eyes were heavy from a sleepless night in the movie theater parking lot of Galveston, Texas.  I was driving through brief intense pockets of rain followed by sunshine.  I kept nodding off so i pulled off at a rest stop just outside Beaumont.  I crawled into the back of the cocoon and tried to get a nap in.  The tempurpedic pillow felt wonderful below my road weary neck...then it happened.

"Crack" the sound of lightning filled my ears.

I looked out the window and saw one of the most intense displays of nature's power that I have ever seen.  Big Rigs crawled by at 30mph with their hazards pulsating at a steady beat.  The rain had transformed itself from drops to bucket loads.  The lightning continued to work it's magic.  With each deafening strike my face lit up like a child with a new toy.  You must understand, I am a self-admitted pyromaniac and have always loved fireworks.  This was like having a front row seat on Fourth of July while being tossed around in a commercial washer.

    After the storm mellowed, I took a beautiful nap.  Life is good.

Next stop NOLA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment