Wednesday, May 20, 2009

CRAFTERPARTY





      Sometimes the road goes in circles...what can I say? I am back in NYC.  Blyth hosted the seasons first crafterparty because her place is huge by New York standards.  We ran around all morning gathering food, snacks and drinks.  We went to this candy store and came out with chocolate covered gingers, smores and marsh mellows dipped in chocolate with m&m on a stick.  Sugar was taken care of so we moved on to guacamole.  It was fun buying all the fixings in Chinatown, the vendors get really upset if you don't use their red plastic bags.  We kept stuffing produce into one big canvas bag which seemed very foreign to them.  

     We got everything back to her house and she decided to go back out and get some embroidery thread so people could make "Friendship bracelets".  These were really popular in 7th grade, maybe a bit before if you were really hip.  I stayed and took care of some much needed business in the restroom.  I was reading People, keeping up with Kristie Alley weight drama and enjoying some alone time.  Everything was going wonderfully until I flushed...yes ladies and gentleman we had a clogger.  No need to panic, I simply found the plunger and gave it some up and down action.  This will normally do the trick but it wasn't working.  Shit...I tried again and again.  while eyeing the clock, 3:22 pm.  Blyth's guest were arriving at 4 and their is only one toilet.  I spent another twenty minutes in there with no luck.  Think think.  OK she lives over a hardware store so I ran downstairs.  As I made my way around the banister her room mate greeted me in the hallway.  Their was no squirming out of this.  I came clean and told her I would take care of it.  She looked mildly traumatized but there was no time to soothe her emotions out.  I grabbed a Toilet Auger which I had never heard of but it looked promising.  Imagine a three foot snake with a handle on one end that you shove in the bowl and crank on to clean out your pipes.  I placed it on the counter, the woman who doubles as the landlord eyed it and then looked at me.

"for upstair?"
I shook my head

"Eightenn dolla"

I handed her a card  which she declined...cash only.  I ran around the corner to Broome st and used the ATM on the corner.  I don't know what the deal is but this street always stinks like dead fish.  I ran back up the stairs and gave her a twenty.  Blyth still wasn't home, so I closed the door and took the packaging off the auger and got to work.  I had to really force the thing in there, it wasn't pretty but I didn't have much choice.  I kept waiting for the water to drop to no avail.  Beads of sweet were running down my face as I turned the handle.  I could hear the metal snake grinding away deep in the pipe.  I couldn't believe that I alone had caused such a backup, someone must of dropped a toothbrush or makeup container in there.  I alternated between the auger and plunger while Blyth and her guests sat in the other room drinking wine.  I am sure they heard all the commotion in there.   They felt awkward so they all went to the fabric store to pick out patterns for their crafterparty project.  I gave it all I had before excepting that I am not a plumber.  I got it working...not perfect but passable for normal use.  I jumped in the shower and cleaned up.  

      The girls returned with their buys and we all got busy sewing bags for our yoga mats.  It ended up being really fun once I settled down.  Check the photos.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh, look at you! You'll be able to make your own baby clothes.

    (sorry, you know I can't help it)

    ReplyDelete